CRUNCHY ONION RINGS
with a Spicy Dipping Sauce
- Active Time : 40 minutes
- Total Time : 40 minutes
- Serves : 6 servings
- 1/4 cup Essential Everyday Real Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Essential Everyday Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Essential Everyday Tomato Ketchup
- 2 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoons Essential Everyday Ground Black Pepper divided
- 1 1/2 + 1/8 teaspoons cayenne pepper divided
- 1/4 teaspoon Essential Everyday Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Essential Everyday Dried Oregano Leaves
- 3 cups Essential Everyday All-purpose Flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Essential Everyday Sea Salt
- 3 cups lowfat buttermilk
- 2 large Vidalia® onions sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- - Essential Everyday Pure Vegetable Oil
In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, ketchup, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, garlic salt and oregano. Mix until well combined. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, 2¼ teaspoons black pepper and 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper. Pour buttermilk into another medium bowl.
To coat onion rings, dip in buttermilk and coat with flour shaking off excess flour. Dip back in buttermilk and again in flour shaking off excess flour. Set ring aside; continue with remaining onion rings.
In large pot or Dutch oven, add oil until 1/3 full; heat over medium heat until deep-fry thermometer reaches 375°F. Add coated onion rings in batches (do not over crowd); fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove from oil and drain. Continue frying remaining onion rings.
Serve with Spicy Dipping Sauce.