POULTRY OR PORK BRINE
- Active Time : 20 minutes
- Total Time : several hours
- Serves : 2 quarts
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup Essential Everyday Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Essential Everyday Granulated Sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 6 thin slices fresh gingerroot
- - whole chicken, cut up whole chicken, thick pork chops, pork tenderloin, or pork loin roast
In large stockpot, bring water to a boil. Stir in salt, sugar, bay leaf, allspice and peppercorns. Boil, stirring until salt and sugar has dissolved (about 1 minute).
Remove from heat; stir in sage, thyme, garlic and ginger. Let cool to room temperature. May be refrigerated until ready to use (up to 2 days).
Choose desired poultry or pork and place in a deep container with tight fitting cover, brining bag or a 2-gallon recloseable food storage bag placed in a dish. Pour enough brine into container or bag to cover meat; tightly seal and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
Remove meat from brine; discard brine. Rinse brine off of meat and pat dry with clean paper towels.
Roast, grill, rotisserie or smoke meat according to your favorite recipe (cook chicken to 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thigh; pork to 155°F).